Gary’s intellectual property law practice is centered on guiding clients through the maze of obtaining intellectual property protection for their hard work and innovation. His practice includes patent and trademark counseling and prosecution, licensing, copyrights, and other related intellectual property matters.
Gary has practiced intellectual property law both as a solo practitioner and as a team member at a law firm. Some of his experience while practicing as a solo practitioner included client development, business and financial management, employee administration and payroll, and docketing. While he enjoyed practicing as a solo practitioner, he also enjoys the interactive environment at Advent LLP.
Gary has intellectual property experience in a wide variety of technology areas. Even though his education was as a chemical engineer, he is experienced in semiconductors and integrated circuit fabrication, chemical detection systems and mass spectrometry, food science, computer networking, software, pharmaceuticals and medical devices, touchscreens, diesel engines, optics, GPS devices, truck hitches, and acetylene torches. Gary is an inventor on 4 water treatment patents, which he obtained while working as an engineer before law school. Gary is also a Super Lawyers Rising Star.
Gary likes other things besides intellectual property law, too. In the spring, he watches tons of soccer games and volunteers as a soccer coach for his daughter, and during the school year, he watches a plethora of band performances and wrestling matches with his sons. He is actively involved with his sons and scouting, his wife teaches classes at the YMCA and makes him workout, and he likes canoeing, camping, fires, backpacking, and wakeboarding.
- United States Patent and Trademark Office, Registered Patent Attorney, No. 60,179
- State Bar of Nebraska, Bar No. 23,416, Admitted 2006
- Supreme Court of the State of Nebraska, 2006
- U.S. District Court, Nebraska, 2006
Gary is an Inventor on 4 U.S. patents related to water treatment technologies and methods for removing phosphorous, arsenic, selenium, and other contaminants from drinking and wastewater.
Family and Community Involvement
- Creighton Law School, Omaha, Nebraska – Legal Mentorship Program
- Lewis Central School District, Council Bluffs, Iowa – Lego League, Mentor
- Boy Scouts of America, Mid America Council, Omaha, Nebraska – Board of Directors, District Chair, Scoutmaster
- YMCA, Council Bluffs, Iowa – Soccer Coach
- Gerald M. Keller, Achieving Better, Cheaper Patent Protection, Advent LLP, Apr. 2014
- Gerald M. Keller, Making the Business Case for Patents, Advent LLP, Oct. 2014
- Gerald M. Keller, Three IP Portfolio Strategy Considerations, Advent LLP, May 2015
- Patenting 101, NUTech, Lincoln, Nebraska