Kevin E. West
Kevin is a Registered Patent Attorney and a founding partner of Advent. Shortly after Advent’s formation, Kevin helped Advent to become one of the largest intellectual property law firms in Nebraska. Besides Nebraska and Iowa, Kevin has helped develop Advent’s brand in such diverse markets as the Silicon Valley, Missouri/Kansas, Connecticut, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Canada, England, and Germany.
Kevin’s practice focuses on the procurement, management, and protection of U.S. and foreign Intellectual Property rights for some of the largest companies in the world. Kevin’s practice includes all aspects of Patents, Copyrights, Trademarks, Trade Secrets, Intellectual Property Licensing, Post Grant Review of Patents, and Litigation Support. With regard to branding, Kevin has experience with Trademark issues from both an outside counsel and an inside counsel perspective. The patent prosecution aspect of his practice includes a concentration in the areas of global positioning system (GPS) technologies, integrated circuit chip manufacturing technologies including chip-scale packaging (CSP) technologies, software, hardware, e-commerce, telecommunications, and the mechanical arts. Kevin’s practice includes all phases of developing patent portfolios. On behalf of his clients, Kevin has handled appeals at the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, and has written various Intellectual Property Due Diligence opinions. The Post Grant Review aspect of Kevin’s practice includes supplemental examination, ex parte reexamination, reissue, post grant review, covered business methods (CBM) review, and inter partes review (IPR).
Prior to founding Advent, Kevin served as chief intellectual property counsel for Garmin International in Olathe, Kansas, and was a partner in an intellectual property law firm in Omaha. Prior to practicing law, Kevin worked as an engineer at McDonnell Douglas in St. Louis, Missouri
- United States Patent and Trademark Office, Registered Patent Attorney, No. 43,983, Admitted February 16, 1999
- State Bar of Nebraska, Bar No. 21,350, Admitted September 23, 1997
- Supreme Court of the State of Nebraska, Admitted September 23, 1997
- United States District Court for the District of Nebraska, Admitted 1997
- Assistant General Counsel – Intellectual Property, Garmin International, Inc., Olathe, Kansas, 2006-2009
- Senior Engineer, McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing), St. Louis, Missouri, 1988-1994
Family Community Involvement
- St. Wenceslaus School, Omaha, Nebraska
- Athletic Committee, Track Coach
- March of the Knights – Sponsor