Collen A. Beard
Collen is Of Counsel at Advent, LLP. Collen practices intellectual property law and has experience working with a wide range of clients, from Fortune 500 companies to universities and individuals. Collen also has experience working for startup organizations and in-house and will craft a strategy to best suit the needs and direction of her clients.
Collen has a practice that encompasses invention and design clearance, patent application drafting and prosecution, patent portfolio management, trademark clearance and registration, opinion work, licensing, competitor evaluations, and business strategies. Collen has experience serving as temporary or part-time in-house counsel.
The technologies with which Collen is familiar include polymers, biomaterials, chromatography, nanomaterials, gas and oil, pharma, drug delivery, and medical devices. She also handles design patents and trademarks.
In 2016, Collen served as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in Guanajuato, Mexico. There she helped one of Mexico’s CINVESTAV research institutes set up a technology transfer office and provided advice on intellectual property.
Prior to law school, Collen worked as a laboratory technician in an enzymology lab and as a research associate in the process development group at a biotechnology company. She has a law degree from Emory University and a BS and MS in Chemistry from Georgia Institute of Technology.
- USPTO, Registered Patent Attorney, Reg No. 38,824, 1994
- Superior Court of the State of Georgia, 1994
- Panelist, “IP Protection for the Fashion Industry” , The Museum of Design Atlanta, November, 2014
- GCMI podcast “Intellectual Property Basics & Focus on Design”, September 2014
- Intellectual Property Seminars, Clark Atlanta University, January – May 2015
- Intellectual Property Seminars, CINVESTAV, Irapuato, Mexico, September – December 2016